The Significant Positive Impact Eco Web Hosting Makes
When most think about green initiatives, we think about how they relate to the automotive, industrial, and commercial transportation industry. Few of us may consider the impact the constantly growing technology sector is having on our environment. The reality is that web hosting is expected to produce as much pollution as the airline industry by the year 2020.
The U.S. Department of Energy has compiled some eye-opening facts about energy use in the country. Here are just several of them.
- More than 85% of Americans have computers in their households with 70% of those connected to the internet. This not only represents a significant amount of traffic but an extremely large consumer base conducting a variety of e-commerce activities on the internet. All of this activity consumes bandwidth and the need for increasing server space, including those of increasingly extensive video files.
- There is a data center in the United States for every 100 people. That is an astounding 3 million data centers in the U.S. alone. These centers do not only require energy to power the servers themselves but the entire facility where they are located. It is estimated that for every 1 kW of power saved in powering IT equipment, another 2 kW of power is saved in the data center itself.
- The U.S. Government itself uses a great deal of energy for its own data centers. The government projects that a full 10% of the entire energy used by the United States Government goes to powering data centers.
- The vast majority of data centers are located in bricks and mortar, small to medium sized businesses. These businesses house these servers in anywhere from closet space to larger “cool rooms”. In most cases, these facilities are energy inefficient. The Department of Energy estimates that less than 10% of all server space is “in the cloud” in large, more efficient data centers.
- If data centers used in the U.S. were just 20% more efficient, the country could save more than 20 billion kWh by 2020, translating to about $2 billion in cost savings. That is a significant number that could translate to a serious impact on the environment if we don’t take appropriate steps.
These statistics demonstrate the amount and scope of energy use of servers and data centers today. It seems technology and web hosting have just continued to grow without much regard to their impact on the environment. That is changing as server companies who offer web hosting solutions realize the benefits to its customers and the planet. At the very same time, more individual business who have their websites hosted are in search of server solutions that can help improve their “green” image. Together, these forces are raising awareness of the significant impact eco web hosting can make.
Why Host with an Eco Web Hosting Company?
Eco web hosting companies make a conscious and concerted effort to make sure their hosting solutions have a minimum negative impact on the environment. At OrangeWebsite.com, our servers are located in Iceland, a country committed to the use of renewable energy sources. In Iceland, for example, 100% of energy is provided by renewable sources with 75% coming from hydroelectric and 25% coming from geothermal sources. The significant amount of geothermal energy available is due to the fact the country takes advantage of its extensive network of volcanic roots.
In addition to its use of renewable energy resources, Iceland’s cooler climate greatly reduces the need for air conditioning, one of the greatest ongoing expenses for web hosting solution companies. This not only significantly reduces energy use and minimizes negative ecological impact but it reduces costs as well. This is savings OrangeWebsite.com is able to pass down to our customers. This is already a powerful combination of ecological and economical benefits. There is still more to come, however, when you host or co-located with OrangeWebsite.com.
The Marketing Value of Eco Web Hosting
Beyond the fact that eco web hosting conserves energy, is ecologically friendly, and can be cost-effective, there is another significant reason to “go green.” When you host with eco web hosting provider OrangeWebsite.com, you can proudly display the “Green Seal” on your website, letting the world know that you are taking an environmentally friendly approach to your business. This seal draws like-minded people to your organization and can improve market share and loyalty. Many business to business and business to consumer websites are seeing the value of displaying the Green Seal.
There are plenty of benefits to going green when it comes to technology especially in the use of eco web hosting. It is also the right thing to do. If your company has yet to consider these benefits, we encourage you to learn more about OrangeWebsite.com. Our company was founded on the premise of providing eco-friendly solutions to web hosting. All of our operations, including web hosting servers, operate on green energy. Our location in Iceland provides nearly unlimited natural energy resources. Hence, we have chosen geothermal and hydropower to run our services. Our Icelandic location also provides for lower air conditioning costs and more efficient overall operations. It also happens to be that Iceland has been named the world’s safest location for web hosting.
At OrangeWebsite.com we even go a step further in providing eco web hosting. We proactively support various environmental organizations and foundations to help them in their work preserving our planet. We take part in the Canope Project, replenishing trees in rainforests that serve as the planet’s lungs. To keep our planet green and to help reverse damage already done, we are planting 250-1000 new trees every month. We invite you to support us in our efforts.
Understanding the full impact of technology and data centers on our planet is an excellent way to move forward with eco-friendly hosting solutions. We encourage you to visit OrangeWebsite.com to learn more and to join us in green technology eco-friendly hosting solutions.