Eco Web Hosting Solutions, the what, when, why and how of it all.
Eco Web Hosting is the last thing people think about when thinking about green initiatives. We consider how they relate to the automotive, industrial, and commercial transportation industries. However, few of us may feel the impact of the constantly growing technology sector on our environment. In reality, web hosting is expected to produce as much pollution as the airline industry by 2020. The U.S. Department of Energy has compiled some eye-opening facts about energy use in the country. Here are just several of them.
- More than 85% of Americans have computers in their households, with 70% connected to the internet. This represents significant traffic and a vast consumer base conducting various e-commerce activities on the internet. All of this activity consumes bandwidth and the need for increasing server space, including those of increasingly extensive video files.
- There are over 2,700 data centres in the USA alone. These centres do not only require energy to power the servers themselves but the entire facility where they are located. It is estimated that for every 1 kW of power saved in powering I.T. equipment, another 2 kW is saved in the data centre.
- The U.S. Government uses a great deal of energy for its data centres. The government projects that a full 10% of the total energy used by the United States Government goes to powering data centres.
- Most data centres are located in small- to medium-sized bricks and mortar businesses. These businesses house these servers in anywhere from closet space to larger “cool rooms”. In most cases, these facilities are energy inefficient. The Department of Energy estimates that less than 10% of all server space is “in the cloud” in large, more efficient data centres.
- If data centres used in the U.S. were just 20% more efficient, the country could save more than 20 billion kWh by 2020, translating to about $2 billion in cost savings. That significant number could translate to a severe environmental impact if we don’t take appropriate steps.
These statistics demonstrate the amount and scope of energy used by servers and data centres today. Technology and web hosting have grown without much regard for their environmental impact. However, that is changing as server companies who offer eco web hosting solutions realise the benefits to their customers and the planet. At the same time, more individual businesses that have their websites hosted are searching for server solutions that can help improve their “green” image. Together, these forces are raising awareness of the significant impact eco web hosting can make.
Why Eco Friendly Web Hosting Is Important
Most companies, including small businesses, choose web hosting based on some relatively straightforward criteria.
- Customer and Technical Assistance
- Guaranteed Uptime
There are reasons you should consider adding a fifth criteria to your list. That is choosing a web hosting solutions company that is eco-friendly.
First, eco-friendly web hosting can save a significant amount of energy. The U.S, Government alone says about 10% of all the energy it uses goes to power its data centres. If data centres used in the country were just 20% more efficient, the country could save more than 20 billion kWh by 2020. That is a cost savings of about $2 billion. It is further estimated that for every 1 kW of power saved in powering IT equipment, another 2 kW of power is saved in the data centre itself. By 2020, data centres will potentially create more pollution than the airline transportation industry.
When you choose to host with us, your website will be hosted in Iceland, a country where all of its energy is provided by renewable energy sources. In Iceland, 75% of energy comes from hydroelectric, and 25% comes from geothermal sources. We are also eco-friendly because our cooler climate minimizes the use of air conditioning in our data centres. As an added bonus, Iceland is also among the world’s leaders in maintaining free speech and anonymity on the internet.
Why Host with an Eco Web Hosting Company?
In addition to its use of renewable energy resources, Iceland’s cooler climate dramatically reduces the need for air conditioning, one of the greatest ongoing expenses for web hosting solution companies. This not only significantly reduces energy use and minimises negative ecological impact, but it reduces costs as well. This is a savings Orange Website can pass down to our customers. This is already a powerful combination of ecological and economic benefits. However, there is still more to come when you host or co-locate with Orange Website.
Who is making the change to Eco Web Hosting?
It’s not just big corporate companies and small local business’s switching their website hosting to eco web hosting. Gaming communities, such as the ones that run the huge Minecraft Java Servers. Which is the most bought and played game in the world, with over 200,000 players online across thousands of servers. Salty Zombies is one of these gaming communities that has partnered with us for not just using our Eco Web Hosting solutions for their websites. But for all their dedicated gaming servers.
These guys host and run some of the world’s most popular ARK PVE and RUST PVE Servers, not to mention the biggest RUST Discord server. They have been happy ever since and enjoy promoting their Green Seal of approval badge to represent that they are trying to make a difference. Hopefully, this will soon be the first of many gaming communities to switch to green hosting.
The Marketing Value of Eco Web Hosting
Beyond the fact that eco web hosting conserves energy, is ecologically friendly, and is cost-effective. There is another significant reason to “go green.” When you host with an eco web hosting provider like Orange Website. You can proudly display the “Green Seal” on your website, letting the world know that you are taking an environmentally friendly approach to your business. This seal draws like-minded people to your organisation and can improve market share and loyalty. Many business to business and business to consumer websites are seeing the value of displaying the Green Seal.
Going green regarding technology has plenty of benefits, especially in using eco web hosting. It is also the right thing to do. If your company has not considered these benefits, we encourage you to learn more about OrangeWebsite.com. Our company was founded on the premise of providing eco-friendly solutions for web hosting. These operations, including eco web hosting servers, operate on green energy. Our location in Iceland provides nearly unlimited natural energy resources. Hence, we have chosen geothermal and hydropower to run our services. Our Icelandic location also provides lower air conditioning costs and more efficient overall operations. It also happens to be that Iceland has been named the world’s safest location for web hosting.
OrangeWebsite also participates in the Canopy Project, replenishing rainforest trees that serve as the planet’s lungs. To keep our planet green and to help reverse the damage already done, we are planting 250-1000 new trees every month. We invite you to support us in our efforts.
Understanding the full impact of technology and data centres on our planet is an excellent way to move forward with eco-friendly hosting solutions. We encourage you to visit OrangeWebsite.com to learn more and to join us in green technology and eco-friendly hosting solutions.